Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am a much better reader of non-fiction than fiction. I get bogged down in novels, lost and distracted. I forget the names of characters. I'm doing well if I follow the story-line, much less have profound or critical reflections on it. I often enjoy literary criticism more than literature, which surely is a sin. But I think that I'm becoming a better reader of literature (especially of poetry), even if I'm still a fairly immature one.

Every year about this time, I get excited about reading fiction and poetry though. Fall, it seems, is a fine time for it, especially the romantic and fantastical and the melancholic. And even though I'm entangled in senior year classes, I'm still going to try to read some fiction and poetry. So here's my modest reading list for the month:

Leavings, by Wendell Berry.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, by Washington Irving.

Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury.

Poetic Diction, by Owen Barfield.

6 comments:

DrLeoMarvin said...

I'm worried these books will depress you....

Anonymous said...

have you read The Martian Chronicle?

schupack said...

ok i'm totally the opposite but i will always have fiction recommendations if you need them

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hmm.

Anonymous said...

Oh! So that is where that book went!! Good choice; let me know when you turn it back in.

Post a Comment